NIELSEN BOOK'S ROLE WITH THE SUPPLY CHAIN
Nielsen Book has a long and established central role within the supply chain providing a range of ordering services for both suppliers (publishers, distributors and wholesalers) and purchasers (retailers and libraries). Our services electronically route orders from those placing them to the correct suppliers and then, in many cases, enable the suppliers to send back a range of real-time business messages such as order acknowledgements, invoices, payment confirmations, delivery notes and credit notes.
Our services seamlessly interact and connect with the wider book supply chain, as shown in our Networks and Services Overview diagram.
NIELSEN BOOK COMMERCE SOLUTIONS
Everyone involved in the book supply chain is encouraged to trade electronically because it provides a number of benefits:
- Saves time and money
- Reduces or eliminates manual intervention
- Customers can order quickly and easily
- Orders can be acknowledged in a timely fashion
- Customers are kept informed about the status of their order
- Reduces time spent on Customer Service queries
- Enables international trade
- Helps reduce the industry’s carbon footprint
We provide a range of services designed to suit the differing needs of our clients and each one is outlined further below.
NIELSEN MANAGED SERVICES
Nielsen Book provides consultancy and a range of managed services based around our commerce solutions. We work with a number of publishers, distributors and retailers to help with system migrations, upgrades and modernisation projects. If you would like more information on our managed services and consultancy work please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nielsen Pubeasy (pubeasy.com) is our free online service for booksellers to check price and availability information, place and track orders with all the major UK and US/Canadian publishers and distributors. The service is fully automated and has been used by booksellers around the world for almost 20 years.
The service enables booksellers to check their personal price with each participating supplier and track any order, regardless of how it was placed. This is possible because Pubeasy links to their personal account with each of the suppliers and retrieves their data in realtime.
For suppliers, it offers increased visibility for their titles and an easy way for their titles to be ordered which tends to lead to increased sales. The major suppliers are made up of over 40 participating publishers and distributors, the full list is available to view here: Pubeasy Participating Affiliates
To register visit: www.pubeasy.com
- Used by over 3.5k booksellers around the world
- Over 3.5m order lines were placed through PubEasy last year
- It is free for booksellers to use as it is paid for by the participating suppliers
Nielsen TeleOrdering was established in 1979 and is at the heart of the book trade. It is an order routing service which offers booksellers a simple way to order from UK publishers with just the ISBN. It is therefore easy to order books from the major UK distributors as well as the large number of mid to smaller publishers and distributors.
It is powered by the Nielsen Book bibliographic database, linking the ISBN to the relevant supplier and order routing information. The bookseller can place their order either via an automated interface in their own system, which feeds into TeleOrdering, or via our BookData Online portal. The supplier connects directly to the TeleOrdering service to collect and fulfil their orders.
- Mainly used by booksellers based in the UK
- Orders can be placed with over 40,000 publishers, distributors and wholesalers
- For UK publishers, it is an easy and effective way to receive orders from the UK book trade
EDI stands for Electronic Data Interchange and is used by publishers and distributors as a way to exchange business messages with their trading partners whilst integrating seamlessly with their back office system.
Nielsen Book works with businesses to transform EDI from a potentially expensive but unavoidable overhead into a business opportunity. Our OneTime managed service provides a cloud-based platform that removes the need for on-premise hardware and software, and provides visibility of all transactional activities through a user interface. We provide the necessary skills, experience and infrastructure as a fully managed service.
- Robust, secure and resilient data centres
- Support for all connection methods including FTP, SFTP, AS2, Web services, VAN and many others
- All transaction types supported (including orders, order acknowledgements, delivery notes, invoices, credit notes and many others)
- Support for all message formats including TRADACOMS, EDIFACT and others
- Software monitors that validate message content for errors and alerts based on either events
These days retailers want to trade electronically with their suppliers as it is quick, efficient and cost effective. This can be daunting for independent publishers and self published authors but we have a number of services to support you with this.
If you self-distribute then our Nielsen BookNet Online Order Collection Service enables you to receive your orders electronically and reply with an order availability status. It is easy to use and doesn’t require any special software.
If you have supplied us with an email address and you are self-distributing, we will automatically set you up to receive your book orders online. You will then receive an email every time someone places an order for your book with details of who placed the order included in the message. The service allows you to provide order acknowledgements back to the book buyers and review your order history for up to six months. To register visit: https://bookorders.nielsenbooknet.com/login.do
- Self distributing publishers can trade with booksellers worldwide
- You can provide your customers with order availability status information
- Saves time and money
Our Publisher EDI Service allows independent self-distributing publishers to extend their electronic trading capabilities further without the expense, resources or technical know-how required for a fully integrated solution. The service allows you to exchange business messages via a secure, reliable and auditable network trading with major booksellers and wholesalers.
- Improve order fulfilment speed
- Receive orders and send messages electronically back to UK major chains and wholesalers
- Send order acknowledgements, delivery notes, invoices and credit notes
- Eliminate re-keying of orders by downloading as a CSV file
- Trade with booksellers worldwide
For more information about our services for independent publishers: Guide for Independent Publishers
For more information on any of our Transact services: